Ian Farr, President - Australian Myths & Legends Inc Report
The 2019 year was again busy for the Club. As well as the normal activities including the Australian Masters Games, the Club had teams competing in an overseas tournament.
Activities for the year:
The Club held weekly training sessions during the year at:
Sunday morning - The Veneto Club, Bulleen.
Friday morning - North Melbourne (and sometimes Wednesday)
Friday Morning - The Veneto Club
Competition: The Club ran our over fifty competition throughout the year at the Royal Talbot Centre, Kew on Tuesday evenings.
Club members were also involved in a similar competition at Hoppers Crossing throughout the year.
Local and Overseas tournaments:
July: Bulleen. The Club ran our very successful aged handicap tournament at the Bulleen Basketball Stadium in July. There were entries from 16 men’s and 6 women’s teams. The tournament went electronic for the first time this year, thanks to Brian Watson & others.
Michael Taylor’s daughters presented the A grade men’s winner with the Michael Taylor Memorial Trophy.
- March: Ballarat. The Club entered two women’s teams in the Ballarat tournament in March.
- FIMBA 2019 World Maxibasketball Championships – Espoo, Finland.
The Club entered 0/70 and 0/75 men’s teams.
The 0/70 team defeated Germany, but lost to USA, Russia & Finland.
The 0/75 team defeated Italy and ended up getting Australia’s first medal at a FIMBA World Maxibasketball Championship.
The 0/75 team is the oldest basketball team that has played under an Australian flag.
The tournament was again an outstanding success on and off the court.
Australian Masters Games – Adelaide - October.
The Club entered 24 teams – 9 women’s teams and 15 men’s teams in these Games. Medal results 10 gold, 7 silver and 7 bronze.
The Club entered the first ever over 80 team in Australia.
The Club entered the largest ever spread of age groups – Women from 0/30 to 0/65; and Men 0/30 to 0/80.
The tournament although being a little unorganised was very enjoyable.
The Club ran three social functions during the year:
August – a team dinner at the Original Sokos Hotel Tapiola Gardens , Espoo, Finland.
October- at the Warradale Hotel, Adelaide – during the Australian Masters Games; another very successful night with 140 plus persons attending.
November – at the Veneto Club, Bulleen – our Christmas function.
Other Highlights, etc:
- The Club held its 2018 Annual General Meeting on Sunday 19th May,2019.
- The Club received the following grants:
A $1500 equipment grant from the Manningham Council.
A grant of a defibrillator from the Victorian Government.
- The Club ran a successful Bunnings Sausage Sizzle at Northland on 1st September.
- Two newsletters (June & December) were distributed to members.
- Unfortunately, we lost two stalwarts of the Club this year, being Ken Baird and Michael Taylor.
The 2020 year’s activities will include:
- Weekly training at Bulleen (Sunday & Friday), and North Melbourne.
- Weekly 0/50 competition at Royal Talbot, Kew (plus at Hoppers Crossing).
- March 2020 - The Ballarat tournament
- April 2020 – The Shepparton tournament
- July 2020 - The aged handicap tournament at Bulleen Stadium.
- November 2020 – Pan Pacific Masters Games – Gold Coast.
- November 2020 - Christmas function.
In conclusion I would like to thank Jack Gibson, Sue Watson, Grace Schirripa and all the other Committee members together with a large number of members of the Club; all of whom have given outstanding support to the Club during the 2019 year.